For some college football fans, the hype of the first College Football Playoff has overshadowed this season’s race for the coveted Heisman Trophy.
Nevertheless, odds makers have kept up with the race and have updated odds each week. Currently on Bovada and sportsbook.com, Marcus Mariota the talented dual-threat quarterback for the Oregon Ducks is leading.
With another very good outing last week with Oregon winning straight up as well as against the spread, the Ducks junior quarterback has become a stronger favorite to win the coveted prize.
According to topbet and betonline, Dak Prescott the quarterback for Mississippi State is in second, but he does not have stats close to those of Mariota.
The only way it looks like Prescott might have a chance against Mariota is if Mariota loses over his last two regular season games or the Pac-12 championship and then it will be tough for Prescott to catch him.
Current Top 5 for the Heisman Trophy
- Mariota is -300 Chalk. This week is a bye week for Oregon, but Mariota has hit 67% of his passes, has 2,781 yards passing and a 29 to 2 TD to interception ratio. Last week against Utah in a 51-27 win, he accounted for 4 touchdowns and 353 total all-purpose yards.
- Prescott is 4 to 1 to win. Last week he had two touchdown passes while running for another without throwing any interceptions in a rout over UT Martin. This season he has 18 touchdowns and 7 interceptions, 2,231 yards passing and 779 yards rushing.
- Melvin Gordon is 12 to 1 to win. Gordon, the talented running back for Wisconsin is the leading rusher in the nation. He ran for 205 yards and a touchdown versus Purdue last week. On the season, Gordon has rushed for 1,500 yards averaging 7.6 yards a carry. He has 21 touchdowns, which is second in the nation.
- J.T. Barrett is 18 to 1 to win. Barrett was thrust into the spotlight as a redshirt freshman to start the season when Braxton Miller went down with a season ending injury. The Ohio State QB has 26 touchdown passes and 7 interceptions. He has rushed for 582 yards and 8 TDs.
- Alabama wide receiver Amari Cooper is 20 to 1 to win. Cooper has caught 79 passes for 1,216 yards with 10 touchdowns. To have the slightest shot at winning he will have to have great games versus Auburn and Mississippi State.
The race looks to be Mariota’s to loss. If he continues playing well and the Ducks when their last two regular season games in which they are heavily favored, he should take home the coveted trophy handed out by the Downtown Athletic Club.