As the NBA starts its break for All-Star Weekend, there are a number of important betting storylines.
The All-Star break in the NBA is an excellent time for bettors to examine just how well teams did in certain betting situations such as against the spread, the over/under and on the road.
Home court has not meant as much this season as in seasons past. The visiting team has covered the spread in nearly 53.5% of this season’s games. Underdogs at home have only covered 46.7% of the time.
- The best home record in the league is 18-10 ATS by the Indiana Pacers, while the worst record at home in the NBA is owned by the Philadelphia 76ers at 7-19 ATS. The Toronto Raptors and Dallas Mavericks both have records of 19-9 ATS on the road, while Cleveland is only 9-18 ATS on the road.
- The Phoenix Suns the new dark horse in the NBA had a win total for the season at Bovada and topbet of 21.5 to start the season. Today, the Suns sit at 30-21. Phoenix is holding down the seventh spot in the Western Conference playoff race. The Suns also own the best record against the spread in the NBA at 32-17-2.
- Toronto is one of the league’s biggest surprises sitting at 28-24, which is the third best in the Eastern Conference. However, if Toronto were in the West, they would be in 10th place.
- Teams in the Western Conference have a record of 198-111 SU and 164-141-4 ATS versus teams from the Eastern Conference. Only Miami and Indiana in the East have a winning record versus opponents from the West.
- Milwaukee is having a horrendous season to date. The Bucks are 9-43 SU and 20-32 ATS. Their ATS record is the NBA’s worst, while the Philadelphia 76ers are at 21-33 ATS, which is the second worst mark.
- The Los Angeles Lakers have been an underdog in more games this season than any other team, yet they have excelled at it. In their 53 games played, the Lakers have been given the ‘dog label 45 times. To date, the Lakers are 27-18 ATS as an underdog.
- Washington has done even better as a dog, as the Wizards are 20-12-1 when receiving points. At the same time, Miami and the San Antonio Spurs have each been a dog just four times the entire season.
- The best chalk goes to the Indiana Pacers. On betonline and sportsbook.com, Indiana is 27-18 ATS when a favorite, which is tops in the league. Oklahoma City has done well as the chalk with a 26-20 ATS record.
- For reasons unknown to most, the Cleveland Cavaliers were deemed the favorite in 18 games to this point in the season. The Cavs are just 4-14 ATS in those 18 games.
- The OVER has cashed 69% of the time or 36 of 52 games that the Detroit Pistons have played this season. The UNDER has cashed in 61% of the games the Boston Celtics have played or 33 of their 54.
- The longest current streak entering the All-Star break against the spread is held by Cleveland at four games. Both the Denver Nuggets and Atlanta Hawks are 0-5 ATS over their past 5 games overall.