The NFL regular season is down to just one week, with still a number of playoff spots up for grabs. A review of Week 16 shows a number of interesting things took place in the NFL.
- The Arizona Cardinals now top the list for ATS covers. With their major upset on last Sunday over Seattle on the road, Arizona improved its record ATS to 10-4-1. In the season’s last game, Arizona opened as an underdog by 3 points at home to the San Francisco 49ers. The 49ers did not cover in the win against Atlanta on Monday night, but have a respectable 9-5-1 ATS record this season. Some odds makers are hoping the Cardinals reach the postseason due to their good ATS showing.
- Bettors who took the UNDER were winners this past weekend. Over the past two weeks, the OVER his dominated, but this past week, the UNDER came through in a big way. Eleven of the 16 games this past week ended UNDER. However, on sports books such as Bovada or betonline, the OVER holds an edge throughout the season 123-110-6.
- The Chicago Bears
and Houston Astros are fighting for the worst record against the spread. Chicago is a game up in the race with a 4-10-1 ATS record, while Houston is 3-12 ATS. Houston will win the dubious crown if they can lose the point spread this week in their finale against Tennessee. However, if Houston covers, and the Bears loss against the spread to Green Bay, they could tie the Texans for the worst record ATS.
- If Chicago is able to win SU and ATS on Sunday versus Green Bay it will be the first time since 2007 they swept the Packers both SU and ATS. Chicago has accomplished that feat only three times over the past 23 years, with two in 1990 and ’91.
- Cincinnati has a record of 7-0 ATS at home this year after covering against Minnesota last Sunday. Only New Orleans at 6-0-1 ATS, has no losses against the number besides the Bengals.
- Oakland surprised many odds makers, fans and coaches earlier in the season, but in December has gone 0-3 SU and ATS. For the season, the Raiders are 4-11 SU and 8-7 ATS. This week odds makers such as topbet and sportsbook.com have Oakland as an underdog by 12.5 points against Denver.
- The New York Jets currently are 8-6-1 ATS this season ensuring they will end the season above .500 in that category, marking the third time in the Rex Ryan era of 5 seasons, that New York has finished a season with a winning ATS mark.
- This season Carolina is 6-1-1 at home and if they can win straight up at Atlanta, they would host one playoff game at least.
- To start the season, Atlanta covered just two if it’s first 10 games, but since then are 4-1 ATS.
- New Orleans has seen all six of their past six games stay UNDER. In that run, the Saints are just 3-3 SU and 1-4-1 ATS.
Now it’s time to see what Week 17 will bring for point totals, upsets, and surprises.